Aims of the Friends of Nether Stowey Library
Welcome to our website. In developing and extending the community outreach of the library we aim to:
- Work with Somerset County Council to support and enhance current library activities
- Develop the library building as a community hub to provide educational & leisure activities such as talks and muscial events.
- Encourage library membership and participation in library and Friends activities
- Arrange fund-raising events and organise volunteers to support the Friends activities
- Provide an informative website and other online facilities for members and any interested members of the public.
Our activities (in the library unless stated otherwise!)
We have held a number of Second Hand Book Sales with books donated by members and In essence local residents.These were very successful and we will be restarting them monthly on Saturdays from February onwards. Watch our website for details soon.
We enjoy a very spacious library!
Rhyme & Story Time for babies, young children and their mums, dads and gandparents is held each Monday at 11 am
A Jigsaw Club now meets and there's a jigsaw out on a library table all the time!
Plenty of space for evening talks and gatherings
Our popular Knit and Natter sessions are held every Wednesday morning in the library from 10:30am until 12 noon. You can bring your knitting, sewing, tapestry or current craftwork along and get to know other people from Nether Stowey and the surrounding villages. Attendance free, but we ask for a small donation towards the teas and coffees served.
We also run Ancestry Family History sessions with trained volunteers available as needed to help you research your family history. Online access to Ancestry.com is free in the library. Please contact Nether Stowey library for more information.
Our webmaster giving out books for World Book Night!
With the local school we have a Story Time session so that when local school children come to choose books they can sit and hear a story read to them selected by our librarian.
Health awareness event in the library!
Last but not least, we run regular Evening Talks and Presentations. These are advertised on our website and in the village magazine: The Quantock Messenger.
We are always open to suggestions. Watch this space and use our contact form if you would like to get in touch with us.
Author Patrick Gale giving some readings a a recent evening meeting "Word on Tour"